Saturday, January 1, 2011

2010 Year in Review and the Dawn of 2011

Good Morning from the New Year! 2010 has been over for almost 8 hours now and 2011 is live and well. How am I awake at this hour after last night's festivities?? I have no idea. Blame this on Manchester United and watching the first EPL game of the new year. Go United! So what have I been up to in the last week since I last wrote?? Being as Christmas and New Years have just been concluded my waist line and pants are going to appreciate a return to my normal exercise routine. This Christmas season wasn't as hard on me as the past. I think I was able to maintain my weight rather than gaining 5-10 pounds, an activity that has been more commonplace in the past. My training has definitely taken a back seat due to late nights, poor weather, and simple lack of discipline. That is definitely one of the first things I am going to change in the New Year.

With the close of a year, many persons reflect on the year past. I am going to attempt to be as brief as possible about the past year but I think there are many things worth noting about the year. For me, 2010 was a year of firsts. I celebrated my first year of marriage to my beautiful wife. I also finished my first marathon (Suntrust Richmond Marathon). I was also privileged enough to get to see Manchester United play on their US tour. I went to the match in Philadelphia and getting to see them made me all the more anxious about the day I get to go to Old Trafford to see them play. My running for 2010 was not as joyous as I would've hoped. I had to deal and run through plantar fascists for much of the latter part of the year and that severely hindered my mileage. However, I was able to complete some of my favorite races. My times (to follow) were a bit slower than I would've hoped but I can only hope to improve on those times for 2011. Here are some pictures and times from my races over the past years.

My racing year in Review:

4.3.2010: Point of Honor 5k. Lynchburg, VA
                 Time: 24:39
                 Place: 72nd out of 302

My Sister and I before the Race
 
4.17.2010: God Parent Home 5K. Lynchburg VA
                    Time: 21:50
                    Place: 28th out of 467
                                 3rd in my age group

9.25.2010: Virginia Ten Miler. Lynchburg, VA
                    Time: 1:17:36
                    Place: 155th out of 1080
                                 35th out of 83 in my age group (20-24)

10.9.2010: Deep Hollow Half Marathon. Lynchburg, VA
                   Time: 2:15:13
                   Place: 27th out of 113
                               11th out of 32 in age group
Coming up to AS 1. See Feet below
Left foot after race.
Right foot.













10.23.2010: Run for their lives 10k. Lynchburg, VA
                     Time: 49:13
                      Place: 39th out of 264

11.13.2010: Suntrust Richmond Marathon. Richmond, VA
                      Time: 4:09:13
                      Place: 1607th out of 3755
                      75th out of 132

Start of the race. Bart Yasso's head.

Coming in at half-way point. Happy to see my yellow-shirted crew.

Taking off for the last 7 miles. Was not feeling well at this point.

Crossing the Finish Line. Not too happy about the time, much better than a DNF though.
My Faithful Crew and Sponsors! Couldn't have done it without them!

So, with the year 2010 concluded and 2011 moving forward in full force, I am sure that many of us have made New Years resolutions for 2011. I honestly haven't given resolutions much thought until now. I like to think of goals rather than resolutions, maybe they are the same thing. So without further delay, here are the current list of goals/resolutions I have set for myself for 2011 (my philosophy is to shoot for very lofty goals so do not be alarmed if these seem a bit out there):

1. Disqualify Pop from my menu completely (Pop=Soda for those of you in the south who may be confused by my vocabulary)
2. Finish my Master's Degree (I am about 12 credits from completing my Masters in Teaching)
3. Find a new place to call home (not complaining about my current residence, but my wife and I agree that it is about time to move away from our college stomping grounds)
4. Run an UltraMarathon (currently training for Holiday Lake 50k++)
5. Complete the LUS/Beast Series....read here to find out more what that is.
6. PR on my previous races.
7. Get out of Debt, Dave Ramsey Style

So I know that this has been a rather lengthy read but I figured that I would do my best to sum up 2010 as best as I could. I am sure that there will be many more references to the past in the future but for now this will have to do. I am also sure I will be editing my resolutions/goals adding to them as the year progresses. Going to finish watching United beat (hopefully) WBA and then going to try to get some miles on my feet today. 

Jog on Mates! 

No comments:

Post a Comment